This recipe marries 2 popular Greek classics together to create a one-pot wonder. Spinach Pilaf, also know as Spanakorizo, along with lemony roasted chicken come together in under an hour and are a match made in flavor heaven.
Buy a cast iron skillet on Amazon (my affiliate)
One-Pan Spinach & Rice with Chicken: Greek Spanakorizo with Chicken
For the chicken:
- 6 chicken thighs, bone in, skin on
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons Sumac
- Salt and black pepper to taste
For the Spinach Rice:
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, grated
- 1-pound baby spinach leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried dill or ¼ cup finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 and ½ cups basmati rice, soaked for 10 minutes and rinsed
- 1 and ½ cups water
- 1 and 1.2 teaspoons salt
- feta and lemon wedges
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F, 200 °C.
- Combine all of the seasoning spices in a small bowl and mix together. Place the chicken on a tray and season both sides.
- Warm a large (12-inch) cast iron skillet along with the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add 3 chicken thighs and cook 4 minutes on each side. Remove the chicken from the pan and set on a plate. Brown the remaining 3 pieces of chicken and set aside.
- Rinse the skillet to get rid of the oil and the brown bits.
- Heat the skillet over medium heat and add the onion and the olive oil. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until soft.
- Add the grated garlic and warm through for 1 minute.
- Add the spinach in a few batches after each one wilts.
- Season with the dill, salt, and black pepper.
- Drain the rice and add to the pan along with the water. Bring to a boil and remove from the heat.
- Place the chicken on top of the rice. Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and raise the oven’s temperature to 475 °F, 250 °C and bake 15 more minutes or until the chicken is done.
- Turn the broiler on for the final 2-3 minutes so that the skin can become crisp.
- Garnish with lemon wedges and serve with feta cheese either crumbled over the top or on the side. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply