MANITAROPITA: MUSHROOM & LEEK PHYLLO SPIRALS
- 1-pound (country style) phyllo pastry, thawed and at room temperature
- 8 ounces unsalted butter, melted
For the filling:
- 2 pounds mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced into half moons
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 roasted red peppers
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces feta cheese
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped mint
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
- Sundried tomatoes, sliced
- Gouda cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F, 200 °C.
- Note: You may use regular, #4 phyllo for this recipe. Those pastry sheets are much thicker than the country phyllo and should be doubled per spiral. You will need at least 24 sheets of phyllo. Plus a few extra, in case some sheets are damaged/ripped.
- Make the filling:
- Heat a large skillet over medium -high heat and add the oil with the mushrooms. Cook 8-10 minutes or until juices are released and dried and the mushrooms are golden. Add the grated garlic, season with salt and pepper, and oregano. Cook for 1 minute more and remove from the heat. Transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the leeks to the pan with 1-2 tablespoons olive oil and season with a pinch of salt. Cook until soft. About 5-6 minutes. Add the scallions and cook 3-4 minutes or until softened. Transfer to mixing bowl with the mushrooms.
- Add the red peppers, feta cheese and olives. Mix until combined and taste. Adjust seasoning if needed.
- Fold in the beaten eggs along with the herbs.
- To form the phyllo spirals:
- Remove the phyllo pastry from packaging and place it on your work surface. Work with it quickly so it does not dry out and begin to crumble. You can keep it from drying out by placing a dry kitchen on top of the phyllo then a slightly damp kitchen towel over it.
- Take one phyllo sheet and drizzle with some melted butter.
- Note: If using #4 phyllo, top with another phyllo sheet and drizzle with some more butter.
- Spread 1-2 tablespoons of the mushroom filling along the widest side of the sheet. Fold it upward to form a log. Roll from the edges inward to form a spiral shape.
- Place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Brush the spirals with the remaining melted butter.
- Bake in the center rack of the oven until golden. About 35-40 minutes.
- Allow to cool 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
- Make Ahead Instructions:
- Assemble the pastries and chill in the freezer (unbaked) until firm.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and keep frozen up to 3 weeks.
- When ready to bake, remove plastic and bake until golden.
Leave a Reply