SPINACH PIE PHYLLO SPIRALS
Yield: 10-11 pastries
- 1-pound (455g) country style phyllo (#10), thawed and at room temperature
- ½ pound (230g) salted butter, melted
For the filling:
- 1-pound (455g) baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 6 scallions, finely chopped
- 1 heaping teaspoon dried dill
- 1- pound (455g) whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1-pound (455g) feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 roasted red peppers, roughly chopped
- Serve with my Tzatziki sauce
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F, 200°C.
- Note: The spinach filling can be made by mixing it in a table top mixer or by hand in a large mixing bowl. The directions below are using a tabletop mixer. If you prefer to make the filling in a large bowl, then just place all of the filling ingredients, except the red peppers, in a bowl and mix with your hands until combined. Fold in the red peppers in the end.
- In the bowl of a tabletop mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add 1/3 of the chopped spinach, half of the crumbled feta cheese, ricotta cheese, the scallions, dill, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Beat on low speed until the mixture breaks down and comes together. Add the remaining spinach in two batches and beat until creamy.
- Fold in the chopped roasted red peppers and set the filling aside.
- Remove the phyllo pastry from its packaging and place onto a work surface.
- Drizzle some melted butter over the top half of the sheet of phyllo.
- Place a half cup of spinach filling over the bottom third of the phyllo sheet. Spread evenly with a spoon and add another tablespoon of filling if needed.
- Fold it upward to form a log. Roll from the edges inward to form a spiral shape.
- Place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Brush the spirals with the remaining melted butter and sprinkle the tops with sesame seeds if desired.
- Bake in the center rack of the oven until golden. About 35-40 minutes.
- Allow to cool 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
- Make Ahead Instructions:
- Assemble the pastries and chill in the freezer (unbaked) until firm.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and keep frozen up to 1 month.
- When ready to bake, remove plastic and bake until golden.
Leave a Reply