LEMON POUND CAKE
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 pounds (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 7 large eggs
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- zest of 2 lemons
- juice of 2 lemons (1/3 cup)
- A classic cake comforting and good all by itself or with so many accompaniments. This buttery, moist cake can be transferred into a delicious trifle, served with some berries and ice cream, with fondue.....So many options.
- This cake is so easy to prepare. I love lemon flavored desserts, but you can substitute any of your favorite citrus flavors or leave it out. Add walnuts, pecans or almonds for a nice crunch. Make it almond flavored by adding a teaspoon of pure almond extract. The sky's the limit, so have fun with it!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 10 inch tube pan and dust with some flour. Tap out the excess.
- Sift the flour, salt and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar with a mixer on low speed.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat until fluffy.
- Add the yogurt with the vanilla, lemon juice and zest.
- Beat to combine well.
- Add the flour in 3 batches and beat just until well combined. Do not over beat.
- Pour the batter in the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until the top is nice and golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a few crumbs attached to it.
- Let the cake cool completely for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove from pan gently and serve!
- The cake keeps well frozen for up to a month.
Leave a Reply