LADOKOULOURA: GREEK STYLE OLIVE OIL COOKIES
- 1 and 1/2 cups olive oil or vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- zest of 2 oranges
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds or ground walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, 180 degrees Celsius.
- Zest the oranges before juicing them.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and orange zest in a large bowl and whisk all the ingredients together.
- In another bowl, combine the olive oil, orange juice, water, sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and vanilla extract. Whisk well to incorporate all of the ingredients.
- Add the flour mixture a little at a time whisking to combine.
- When the mixture becomes to thick to whisk, mix the rest of the flour in with your hands.
- Add the sesame seeds and mix until combined.
- At this point the dough will seem wet and sticky.
- Set it aside for 5 minutes and it will come together and become a very pliable cookie dough.
- Cut the dough into walnut sized balls. This recipe makes about 45.
- Roll the balls into logs and place onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Leave some room in between each cookie for rising. They will also spread slightly while baking.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the cookies become slightly browned around the edges.
- It is a good idea to also rotate the trays halfway through baking. Switch the bottom tray to the upper rack and the top tray on the bottom. This will ensure even baking.
- Cool the cookies on cooling racks.
- Serve and enjoy!
Leave a Reply