Delicious savory stuffed phyllo Greek pies!
Watch the Video
Kimadopitakia are crispy little Greek phyllo pies stuffed with beef and fresh herbs. They make the perfect appetizer, snack, or picnic food because they can be served at room temperature. Plus, they freeze beautifully, so you can make them ahead of time. Plan to make a triple batch!
Why you’ll love these pies
- Crispy, flaky phyllo
- Fresh, herbed beef filling
- The perfect amount of heat
- A delicious make-ahead hand-held phyllo beef pie you can serve anytime!
What you’ll need
- #4 or #7 phyllo pastry –thawed
- Butter –melted
- Ground beef –substitute ground chicken or lamb if you prefer
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Onion –finely chopped
- Olive oil –Try the new one in our shop straight from Greece!
- Garlic clove –grated or minced
- Dried thyme or oregano
- Scallions –thinly sliced and swirled in cool water to release any dirt
- Finely chopped parsley
- Serrano chili pepper or a jalapeño –leave out if you don’t like a little heat
Sometimes I don’t have everything on hand or I just want to do something different with my pies. You can make that happen using so many other things. Try adding feta cheese, green peas, finely chopped roasted potatoes, or any of your favorite veggies.
How to make Kimadopitakia –Greek Phyllo Pies with Beef and Herbs
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F, 180 °C.
- Cook the onion with olive oil and a pinch of salt over medium heat until soft and golden –about 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and warm through until fragrant.
- Then, add the ground beef to the skillet and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook over medium heat while breaking up the meat –about 10 minutes or until the beef is cooked.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the thyme, parsley, scallions, and chili pepper.
- Taste to adjust seasoning if needed and set aside.
- Next, cut the phyllo into three equal portions.
- Layer one strip of phyllo on top of another and drizzle melted butter between the layers and on top.
- Place a tablespoon of the filling on the bottom of the strip and fold it up into a triangle.
- Then, place on a greased baking tray.
- Brush the tops of the beef pies with the melted butter and bake on the center rack of the preheated oven for 45-60 minutes or until golden and crisp.
Make Ahead Freezer Instructions
Assemble the pies and place them on a greased baking tray. Put the tray in the freezer until the pies are frozen solid. Wrap the tray with plastic wrap or place the pies in a freezer bag. Keep them frozen for up to 4 months. When you’re ready to serve the pies, bake the pies frozen at 350 °F until golden –about an hour.
No matter where I serve these little pies, I always serve them with tzatziki sauce. It adds so much freshness to the herbs in the pies. I plate them on a platter with a bowl of tzatziki on the side for an appetizer or snack. If you take these on a picnic, you don’t need to put them in the cooler with your salad and tzatziki. So, you’ll have a delicious lunch ready for any picnic blanket you pass. Kali Orexi!
More Savory Phyllo Recipes:
- 1 pound (#4 or #7) phyllo pastry, thawed
- 6 oz (170g) butter, melted
- 1 and 1/3 pound (600g) ground beef
- salt, to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or oregano
- 5-6 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 1 Serrano chili pepper or a jalapeño (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350 °F, 180 °C.
Cook the onion with olive oil and a pinch of salt over medium heat until soft and golden. About 8 minutes.
Add the garlic and warm through until fragrant.
Add the ground beef to the skillet and season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat while breaking up the meat. About 10 minutes or until the beef is cooked through. Remove from the heat and add the thyme, parsley, scallions, and chili pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
Mix together and set aside.
Cut the phyllo into 3 equal portions.
Layer two strips of phyllo on top of each other and drizzle melted butter in betwen the layers and on top.
Place a tablespoon of the filling on the bottom of the strip and fold up into a triangle. Place on a baking tray that has been greased.
Brush the tops of the beef pies with the melted butter and bake on the center rack of the preheated ovem for 45-60 minutes or until golden and crisp.
Serve with tzatziki sauce. Kali Orexi!
Make Ahead Freezer Instructions: Assemble the pies and place in the freezer until frozen solid. Wrap the tray with plastic wrap and keep frozen for up to 3-4 months. Bake the pies frozen at 350 °F until golden. About an hour.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Olive Oil- Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil (500ml/15.9 oz)
Traditional Cretan Aprons (heavier fabric)
J.A. Henckels International 31161-201 CLASSIC Chef's Knife, 8 Inch, Black
TEAKHAUS Wood Cutting Board Block I Chopping Board I Wooden Cutting Boards for Kitchen I Large Cutting Board with Handle I Chopping Boards for Kitchen I Thick Cutting Board 107 24x18x1.5
Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Saute, Yogurt Maker, Sterilizer, and Warmer, 8 Quart, 14 One-Touch Programs
3.6 Qt Braiser Covered Casserole, Lagoon Gradated
Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Quarter Sheet, 2-Pack