Delicious, savory pie made with kasseri cheese, bechamel sauce, and puff pastry!
Watch the Video:
Kasseropita is a delicious Greek kasseri cheese pie traditionally made with sheep’s milk kasseri cheese. A semi-hard Greek cheese that’s buttery and slightly salty. The longer it’s aged, the saltier it is, and it almost smells like mozzarella. It’s very similar to gruyere cheese but not as tangy. Don’t worry if you can’t find it because there are several kinds of cheese you can substitute. Plus, the pie comes together in about 10 minutes, and the results are simply delicious!
No one will believe how easy it was
- Flaky, buttery pastry
- Buttery, salty kasseri cheese
- Velvety smooth bechamel sauce
- Creamy, pull-apart cheesy filling
- A delicious traditional Greek kasseri cheese pie that’s flaky, buttery, and creamy!
Cheese pie ingredients
- Puff pastry –thawed
- Egg wash -1 egg yolk plus 2-3 tablespoons water
- Sesame seeds for the topping (optional)
For the Filling:
- Unsalted butter –unsalted is best
- All-purpose flour
- Grated nutmeg –just a little to not overpower the flavor of the cheese
- Ground black pepper
- Kasseri cheese –shredded
- Egg –tempered with warm milk
Where to find kasseri cheese and substitutes
A Greek or Mediterranean specialty food store is the best place to look for kasseri cheese. I purchased it on Amazon because the closest Mediterranean food store near me is 100 miles away. If you have one close by, though, it’s worth the visit. If you’d like to get a cheese more familiar, a few good substitutes for kasseri are Greek Kefalotyri, Italian Caciocavallo, mozzarella, or asiago cheese.
Puff pastry alternatives
I love the flakiness of the puff pastry for this pie. Plus, it’s so simple and easy to work with. If you don’t have puff pastry, you can use several sheets of storebought phyllo with butter drizzled between the layers. You can also use a pie crust or homemade phyllo to give it a more rustic feel. Let me know what you like best!
How to make Kasseropita, Greek Kasseri Cheese Pie
Make the Filling:
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F, 180 °C.
- Place a saucepan over medium heat and add the butter.
- Once it has melted, add the flour and toast for a minute.
- Add the milk while whisking until smooth.
- Then, season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg.
- Cook until thickened enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon and remove from the heat.
- Beat an egg in a bowl and add some hot cream while constantly whisking.
- Then, add the egg mixture to the cream
- Stir in the shredded cheese and set aside.
Assemble the Pie:
- Roll out each sheet of puff pastry to a 12-inch square.
- Place the first sheet into a 9-inch (23 cm) round pie pan.
- Add the filling and cover with the other piece of puff pastry.
- Roll the edges together to form a crust.
- Then, brush the top with the egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Cut a few slits on the top layer of puff pastry to allow the steam to escape.
- Bake on the center rack for 45-55 minutes or until golden and puffed.
- Allow the pie to cool at room temperature for at least 20 minutes before serving.
Make-ahead Freezer Instructions
This pie is simple to make but can still be made ahead. Once you’ve assembled it, wrap it tightly with plastic wrap and then top it with foil to keep it from absorbing freezer odors. You can keep the pie frozen for up to 3 months. When you’re ready, be sure to bake the pie in a preheated 350 °F oven for about an hour or until golden.
Letting the pie cool to room temperature allows the cheese filling to set. Once you cut the slices to serve, the pie is really creamy and cheesy. It’s almost like a creamy pizza filling without the pizza sauce. If you like Tiropita, you’re going to love this. Serve it as an appetizer, snack, or for lunch with a Greek salad. Kali Orexi!
More Savory Pies:
- 2 sheets puff pastry, thawed
- egg wash: 1 egg yolk plus 2-3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds for the topping (optional)
- For the Filling:
- 4 tablespoons (50g) unsalted butter
- 4 tablespoons (50g) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- salt, to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- ground black pepper
- 300g (about 4 cups) shredded Kasseri cheese
- 1 egg
Preheat the oven to 350 °F, 180 °C.
Make the Filling:
Place a saucepan overn medium-heat and add the butter. Once it has melted add the flour and toast for a minute. Add the milk and whisk together until smooth. Season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Cook until thickened enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon. Remove from the heat. Beat an egg in a bowl and add some of the hot cream while whisking. Add the egg mixture to the cream and then add the shreded cheese. Mix together and set aside.
Assemble the Pie:
Roll out each sheet of puff pastry to a 12-inch square.
Place the first sheet into a 9-inch (23 cm) round pie pan.
Add the filling and cover with the other piece of puff pastry. Roll the edges together to form a crust. Brush the top with the egg wash and sprinkle with sesaome seeds.
Cut a few slits on the top layer of puff pastry to allow the steam to escape.
Bake on the center rack for 45-55 minutes or until golden and puffed.
Allow the pie to cool at room temperature for at least 20 minutes before serving.
Freezer Instructions: This pie can be assembled and frozen for up to 3 months. Make sure to wrap it tightmy with plastic wrap and then with foil so that it does not absorb freezer odors. Bake in a preheated 350 °F oven for about an hour or until golden.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Traditional Cretan Aprons (heavier fabric)
Emile Henry Burgundy Le Grande 12 inch Pie Dish
KitchenAid KSM3311XAQ Artisan Mini Series Tilt-Head Stand Mixer, 3.5 quart, Aqua Sky Blue
Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Saute, Yogurt Maker, Sterilizer, and Warmer, 8 Quart, 14 One-Touch Programs
COSORI ProII Air Fryer Oven Combo, 5.8QT Max Xl Large Cooker with 12 One-Touch Saveable Custom Functions, Cookbook and Oneline Recipes, Nonstick and Dishwasher-Safe Detachable Square Basket
Cretan Mountain Tea- Malotira (30g/1.05 oz)