These juicy chicken gyros are marinated in Greek herbs and spices and served on top of salad bowls. Enjoy them with a big dollop of tzatziki as a healthy lunch or dinner option. So much flavor in one bowl!
There is so much flavor in the marinade that you could just cook the chicken right away. If you plan ahead and are able to marinate it overnight, it will be even better. Make a double batch for meal prep. The chicken gyro slices are delicious over salad, in a pita, or over Mediterranean Rice Pilaf.
Purchase your kitchen essentials with my affiliate links to support my work without costing you anything extra. Thank you!
Small batches of this can be cooked in a skillet on the stovetop. My favorite way to cook this chicken is in a hot grill. Second-best is under the broiler in the oven. If you’re cooking the chicken in the oven be sure to use the cooling rack. Skipping this step will not produce a juicy chicken. I’ve tested it many times and what happens is that as the chicken roasts, it releases its juices and steams the meat. Placing the chicken on the cooling rack keeps the meat elevated and juicy.
I always use boneless skinless chicken thighs for gyros. They stay juicy, have much more flavor than breast meat, and they’re half the price. You can definitely use this marinade on chicken breast or even substitute half of the thighs for breast. Try it with the thigh meat at least once! You will be so happy you did.
Once you make this recipe it will be part of your weekly rotation. The whole family will love it and ask for it over and over again. Enjoy!
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, grated
The Dry Spices:
- • 1 tablespoon dried crushed oregano
- • 2 teaspoons salt
- • 2 teaspoons paprika
- • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- • ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- • ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- • Tzatziki sauce
- • Lemon wedges
- • Warm pita bread
- • Baby salad greens
- • Diced tomatoes, onion, and cucumber
- • Bell pepper slices
- • Olives
- • Crumbled feta cheese
- Place the chicken in a large mixing bowl. Pour the lemon juice and olive oil on top. Add the grated garlic and all of the dry spices. Toss well to coat.
- Cover with plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight.
- Allow the meat to come to room temperature before cooking.
- If grilling, heat the grill over medium-high and place the chicken on top. Grill 6-8 minutes per side or until the internal temperature reaches 165 °F.
- To cook the chicken gyro in the oven, set the heat to the Broil Setting and place the oven rack as high as it goes so that it is close to the heating element.
- Place a cooling rack over a baking tray and spread the chicken on the cooling rack.
- Broil for 18-20 minutes. Flip the chicken over halfway through cooking.
- Remove from the oven and allow the chicken to rest at room temperature for 5-10 minutes.
- Cut the chicken into slices.
- The chicken gyro is ready to serve. Place it in warm pita bread with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and tzatziki sauce.
- Place the slices over your favorite salad along with tzatziki and pita bread. Enjoy!