Move over hummus, a new dip is in the house! Roasted red peppers, pomegranate molasses, roasted garlic, walnuts, and crushed red pepper make this spread so flavorful. Follow my easy, step by step recipe to make this zesty dip.
I usually have 1-2 jars of roasted red peppers in my pantry. I love them so much and add them to everything: dips, stews, pasta, and even salad. It saves so much time but, if you’d rather fire roast your own you may do so either on a barbeque grill or on a gas stovetop. Place them over a flame turning them often until charred and tender. Cover them with foil until cool enough to handle them, peel their skin, cut them in half and discard the seeds, and they’re ready to use! The jarred variety is stored in a salty brine which adds an extra tangy flavor. You will get lots of tang from the lemon juice, so don’t worry!
Purchase your kitchen essentials using my affiliate links to support my work without any additional cost to you. Thank you!
Use this delicious (and vegan) Muhammara as a dip, add it to a mezze board, as a spread, or as a pasta sauce. The options are endless.
- 3 roasted red peppers
- 1 and ½ cups (140 grams) walnuts
- 1 head of garlic
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
- Optional: 2-3 tablespoons unseasoned breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F, 180 °C.
- Cut the pointy top off of the head of garlic and discard it. Place the head of garlic onto a piece of aluminum foil (or parchment paper). Drizzle the garlic with 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil. Cover the garlic with foil and bake until soft and golden. 30-40 minutes.
- Place the walnuts on a baking tray and toast them in the oven for 7-8 minutes.
- Place the roasted red peppers in a food processor along with the walnuts and the remaining ingredients. Squeeze the garlic so that the cloves can come out and you can also use a knife to help get them out. Add them to the food processor. Pulse until smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Add the breadcrumbs and pulse until smooth.
- Transfer the Muhammara into a serving plate/bowl and drizzle with some olive oil. Enjoy!