Festive, delicious, and easy-to-make gluten-free cookies!
Watch the Video:
Brighten your holiday table with these gluten-free Greek Christmas Cookies known as Almond and Cherry Amygdalota. They are delicious and easy to make, and the white cookie with red cherry is so festive. I use this exact cookie recipe to make my Greek almond meringue cookies, except I thickened the batter a bit because these cookies hold the cherry in the center. You can make them chewy or slightly crisp, depending on your preference, simply by changing the time in the oven. And you can even add chocolate. You’ll get requests for these in your cookie gift boxes!
Why your family will want these as gifts
Crisp on the outside
Chewy on the inside
Vanilla and almond
Sweet sticky cherries
A perfect delicious festive cookie everyone can enjoy!
Everything you need
- Egg whites –room temperature is best
- Granulated sugar
- Pure vanilla extract –good quality for the best flavor
- Pure almond extract
- Blanched almond flour
- Maraschino cherries –pitted and drained
- Confectioner’s sugar
- Sliced almonds
How to make gluten-free Greek Christmas cookies known as almond and Cherry Amygdalota
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F, 180 °C. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Beat the egg whites with the salt on high speed until frothy. Add the sugar and beat until thick and shiny.
- Add the vanilla and almond extract along with the almond flour and beat until dough has formed.
- Place about a cup of confectioner’s sugar in a bowl.
- Take about a tablespoon (35-40g) of dough and form it into a ball. Roll the ball in the confectioner’s sugar.
- Place the balls onto the prepared pan.
- Press the center of each ball down with your index finger to create a little well to hold the cherry.
- Pat the cherries dry and place one cherry into the center of each ball.
- Nestle a few sliced almonds around the cherries.
- Bake on the center rack of the preheated oven for 15-18 minutes until very lightly golden brown.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely.
**Baker’s tip! For a chewier cookie, bake closer to 15 minutes. For a dryer cookie, bake closer to 20 minutes.
These cookies are beautiful on a glass or holiday platter. They really stand out! If you love chocolate, you can drizzle dark chocolate right over the cookies after they cool. I’ve even melted chocolate in a bowl and dipped the cookies to coat the bottom. The combination of cherry, chocolate, and almond is to die for! However you decide to serve them, call some friends over and make the coffee. Kali Orexi!
More Holiday Cookies:
- Classic Kourabiedes
- Festive Holiday Shortbread cookies
- Cherry Almond Florentines
- Bakery-Style Italian Butter cookies
- Italian Lady’s Kisses cookies
Gluten-free Greek Christmas Cookies (Almond & Cherry Amygdalota)
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (170g) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 2 and 1/2 cups (250g) blanched almond flour
- 14-16 Maraschino cherries, drained
- confectioner's sugar
- 1/4 cup or more of sliced almonds
Preheat the oven to 350 °F, 180 °C. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
Beat the egg whites with the salt on high speed until frothy. Add the sugar and beat until thick and shiny.
Add the vanilla and almond extract along with the almond flour and beat until a dough has formed.
Place about a cup of confectioner's sugar in a bowl.
Take about a tablespoon (35-40g) of dough and form it into a ball. Roll the ball in the confectioner's sugar.
Place the balls onto the prepared pan.
Press the center of each ball down with your index finger to create a little well to hold the cherry.
Pat the cherries dry and place one cherry into the center of each ball.
Nestle a few sliced almonds around the cherries.
Bake on the center rack of the preheated oven for 15-18 minutes.
Allow the cookies to cool completelt. Transfer them to a serving platter and serve with coffee. Kali Orexi!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Godinger Dublin Cake Plate Cake Stand,12 inches
Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Saute, Yogurt Maker, Sterilizer, and Warmer, 8 Quart, 14 One-Touch Programs
Traditional Cretan Aprons (heavier fabric)
COSORI ProII Air Fryer Oven Combo, 5.8QT Max Xl Large Cooker with 12 One-Touch Saveable Custom Functions, Cookbook and Oneline Recipes, Nonstick and Dishwasher-Safe Detachable Square Basket
KitchenAid KSM3311XAQ Artisan Mini Series Tilt-Head Stand Mixer, 3.5 quart, Aqua Sky Blue
TEAKHAUS Wood Cutting Board Block I Chopping Board I Wooden Cutting Boards for Kitchen I Large Cutting Board with Handle I Chopping Boards for Kitchen I Thick Cutting Board 107 24x18x1.5
Amazon Brand - Happy Belly Maraschino Cherries in Glass Jar, 10 Ounce
Leave a Reply