- Serves 6:
- 2 pounds frozen broccoli florets
- 2 potatoes, cut into medium sized pieces
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 3 celery sticks, chopped
- 5-6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 3/4 - 1 pound boneless chicken thighs
- 4 cups water
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons all purpose flour
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- splash of heavy whipping cream (optional)
- Grilled cheese croutons
Place the broccoli, onion, potatoes, chicken, carrot, celery, garlic and water in a pot and bring to a boil.
Simmer, covered for about 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked and the vegetables are tender.
Remove the chicken, about a cup of broccoli and carrots from the pot and set aside.
Puree the soup in a few batches in a blender until completely smooth.
Heat the flour and olive oil over medium heat and cook until the flour gets a toasted aroma. Add milk and the soup.
Shred the chicken and add back to the pot with the reserved broccoli.
Chop the carrots and add to the pot.
Season with salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil. It will thicken beautifully.
Sprinkle some crushed red pepper flakes and add a dash of heavy cream.
Serve with my delicious grilled cheese croutons.