Warm a cast iron grill pan over low heat.
Lightly butter all sides of bread.
Sprinkle some black pepper and oregano. Top with shredded cheese.
Top with the slice of buttered bread and season the top with black pepper and oregano.
Grill on the pan for about 4 minutes each side or until golden on top and until the cheese is melted.
Place on cutting board and allow to rest a few minutes.
Cut into bite sized squares.
Add to your favorite soup or salad.
- Makes 1 grilled cheese sandwich:
- 2 slices really good bread (sourdough, French, ciabatta....)
- salted butter, softened at room temperature
- your favorite shredded cheese (mozzarella, gouda, cheddar)
- freshly ground black pepper
- dried oregano