For the Pastry:
- ½ pound unsalted butter, softened
- 6 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ -1 cup chocolate hazelnut spread
- ½ banana, cut into thick slices
- 5-6 strawberries, sliced
- toasted chopped hazelnuts
- 2 egg yolks with 2 tablespoons water
- Sugar for sprinkling on top
- Preheat the oven to 375°F, 190°C.
- Begin with the pastry. Beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth in a tabletop mixer with the paddle attachment. Add the flour and beat until incorporated.
- Collect all the dough on the counter and form a round disk. Cover with plastic wrap or parchment paper and refrigerate for about 30 minutes till 1 hour to allow to rest and harden a bit. This dough can be stored in the freezer for up to one month.
- Lightly dust a work surface with flour and roll the dough out to about 1/8 inch in thickness.
- Cut out 4-inch circles and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Gather the remaining dough and roll out again, cut out circles and repeat until dough is all formed into circles.
- Place a teaspoon of chocolate hazelnut spread on one side of the circle. Top with banana slices, strawberry slices, hazelnuts, or your favorite combination. Fold the dough over and use a fork to press down and seal the edges.
- Place the pies on the baking tray, pierce the tops with the tines of a fork so that steam releases during baking. Brush with the egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake 25 minutes or until they are golden. Enjoy!
- Make-Ahead Tips:
- The pastry dough can be prepared and frozen up to a month in advance. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and follow the remaining instructions.
- These pies can be assembled, placed on baking trays and chilled in the freezer until firm. Transfer the frozen pies in freezer-safe bags and store them in the freezer 2-3 weeks. When ready to bake, place on baking trays lined with parchment paper, brush with egg wash, sprinkle with sugar and bake at 350 °F until golden.
- These pastries can be assembled the day before serving and stored in the refrigerator until ready to bake.