- 1 (8-9 oz.) puff pastry sheet, thawed
- Egg wash: 1 egg yolk plus 2 tablespoons water
- sesame seeds for garnish
For the Cheese Filling:
- 4 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- 4 oz ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup whole milk plain yogurt
- Pinch of salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ tablespoons fresh chopped mint
- 1 egg
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F, 200°C.
- Lightly dust your work surface with some all-purpose flour. Roll out the puff pastry to a 12” by 15” rectangle. Place the puff pastry sheet on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Make an even number of diagonal cuts down each side (approx. 1 inch apart) of the rectangle. Chill in the refrigerator while the filling is prepared.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg with the ricotta cheese until combined. Add the crumbled feta and the yogurt. Mix well and season with a dash of salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Spread the cheese mixture down the center of the prepared puff pastry.
- Fold the diagonal strips of dough in a criss-cross pattern over the filling, forming a braid.
- Press the ends together to seal the top and bottom.
- Brush with the egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds if desired.
- Chill in the freezer for 15 minutes or in the refrigerator for 25 minutes.
- Bake in the center rack of the oven until puffed and golden brown. About 30-35 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before serving.
- Make ahead tips:
- The puff pastry braid can be assembled, chilled in the freezer until firm, then wrapped with parchment paper and foil and kept frozen until ready to bake.
- It stays fresh in the freezer (unbaked) up to 3 weeks.
- When ready to bake, brush with egg wash, sprinkle with sugar and bake until puffed and golden. This can take 45-50 minutes.