Gree-Style Chickpea Patties
- Makes about 8 patties or 16 “meat”balls:
- 15 ounces cooked chickpeas, or leftover chickpea stew
- A handful of fresh parsley
- 3 scallions, finely sliced
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs or mashed potatoes
- Approximately 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt, or more
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 egg, beaten
- 5-6 olives, pitted and sliced
- Oil for frying
- Lemon wedges and tzatziki sauce for serving
Place the parsley and olives in a food processor fitted with the blade attachment and pulse until finely chopped. Add the chickpea stew or boiled and drained chickpeas and pulse until the chickpeas are finely chopped and a paste begins to form.
Place the chickpea mixture in a mixing bowl and add the chopped scallions, panko bread crumbs, flour, and salt and pepper. Mix well and taste. Adjust seasoning if necessary. Add the egg and mix well until combined. Add some more flour if needed so that the mixture sticks together.
Form into patties (1/4 cup each) or into balls to create vegetarian meatballs.
Heat a cast iron skillet with some vegetable oil and fry until golden on both sides. About 3 minutes per side.
Serve with salad, pita bread, and some lemon wedges. They taste great dipped in homemade tzatziki sauce. Enjoy!
Notes: If you are using canned or boiled chickpeas, you may add 1-2 grated garlic cloves to the chickpea mixture to add some more flavor. Cilantro may be substituted for the parsley. Crumbled feta may also be added to the mixture. These keep well (uncooked) frozen up to 2 months.