- Serves 4:
- 1 recipe of my Roasted Red Pepper & Feta Dip
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded 1/4 inch thick
- salt, black pepper & oregano for seasoning the chicken before it goes in the egg & breadcrumbs
- 4 large eggs, beaten with about 4 tablespoons milk, a little salt & black pepper
- 2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic powder
- lemon wedges
- olive oil for pan frying
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
I made this for my "Date Night" inspired menu at my cooking class last week. This can be made as an elegant main course for two or to serve to a large crowd; party sized 🙂 You can fill the chicken the day before you serve it and just cook it the day of.
Season the pounded chicken breasts with salt, pepper and oregano on both sides. It is important for everything to be well seasoned each step of the recipe to maximize the flavor.
Spoon 1 tablespoon of the roasted red pepper and feta dip in the center of each breast.
Roll the breast up and secure with toothpicks. Set on a baking sheet pan.
Beat the eggs with the milk, salt and pepper and place in a baking dish. I like using pie pans.
Combine the Panko breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, parmesan, oregano, cumin, crushed red pepper flakes, and garlic powder in another baking dish and mix well to incorporate.
Dip each stuffed chicken breast first in the egg mixture, making sure to coat each side, then in the breadcrumb mixture, back in the egg and again in the breadcrumbs. This will give the chicken a nice crispy crust. Yumm!
Heat the olive oil (enough to coat the bottom of your pan) over medium-high heat. Place the chicken breasts in the pan and fry for about 4 minutes on each side until golden brown all around.
If your frying pan is oven proof (make sure it doesn't have a plastic handle), transfer it with the chicken in it into your preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes, flipping the chicken over halfway through baking.
If your pan is not oven proof, just place the browned chicken onto a baking sheet or baking dish and do the same: bake for 15 minutes on each side.
Remove the chicken from the oven and allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving. This will set the filling so that it will be easier and prettier to slice.
Serve it with some fresh lemon wedges. The lemon juice squeezed over the stuffed chicken will brighten and lighten up the rich flavor. Serve with a nice salad, like Roka or with pasta.