Valentines Day is right around the corner. Impress your date with this elegant dessert. Serve it with my homemade ice cream recipe or with your favorite store bought brand.
PROFITEROLES WITH ICE CREAM & BERRIES
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 ounces (half a stick) of unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- lemon or orange zest
- juice of a lemon or orange
- Chocolate Sauce:
- 6 ounces semi sweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the water, butter, salt and sugar in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the flour and stir quickly with a wooden spoon until the mixture comes together and forms a nice dough that comes away from the saucepan . Remove from the heat.
- Transfer the dough to another bowl. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well with an electric hand mixer to incorporate each one before adding the next. Mix it until it's nice and smooth.
- Use immediately, while it's hot! Place the mixture in a pastry bag fitted with a plain, round 1 inch tip.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and pipe out about 20 balls about 1 and 1/2 inch high. Smooth the points on top by wetting your fingers and gently pressing down on the puffs.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 15 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 325 degrees and bake 15 more minutes or until golden. They should feel light and hollow when done baking.
- Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack.
- In the meantime, prepare the berries. Sprinkle the sugar over them and mix well. Add the vanilla extract, zest and juice and mix. Let them macerate for a while. Mash up some of them and mix with the whole berries. You can also take 3/4 of the berries and puree them in a blender until nice and smooth.
- Slice the puffs n half and scoop a small ball of ice cream in each one.
- To make the chocolate sauce, bring the heavy cream to a simmer and pour over the chocolate. Mix well and add the vanilla extract and honey. Mix until smooth.
- To plate everything:
- Place some berries on the bottom of the plate. Put two cream puffs filled with ice cream over the berries. Drizzle a little chocolate syrup over the puffs. Dust some confectioner's sugar on top and serve immediately!! Enjoy 🙂
Leave a Reply