BRIAM/ TOURLOU TOURLOU; GREEK STYLE RATATOUILLE
- 1 Chinese eggplant
- 2 zucchinis
- 2 small potatoes, peeled
- 1 medium onion, peeled
- 4 mushrooms
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
For the Tomato Sauce:
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 2-3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar (depending on the acidity of tomatoes may need more or less)
- 4 Kalamata olives, chopped
- salt to taste
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
For the herbed oil:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped rosemary (or dried oregano)
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit, 218 degrees Celsius.
- Slice all of the vegetables very thin using a mandolin if you have one. Set it to the 1/32 inch setting.
- Bring water to a boil in a small sauce pan and add 1 teaspoon of salt. Boil the potato slices 3-4 minutes. They will be par boiled and will continue to bake in the oven with the rest of the vegetables. Potatoes take longer to cook so this step will assure all of the vegetable bake evenly.
- Drain the potatoes and cool until they can be easily handled.
- Combine all of the tomato sauce ingredients in the baking dish. I used an 8x8 inch square ceramic pan.
- Adjust the seasoning to your liking and stir to combine all of the ingredients.
- Arrange the vegetables by creating 3 rows. use the remaining vegetables to fill in the loose spaces.
- Mix all of the herb oil ingredients together well to combine and brush onto the vegetables.
- Cover with foil and place onto a sheet pan to make it safe and easy to take in and out of the oven.
- Bake 40 minutes. Remove foil, sprinkle the crumbled feta onto the vegetables and return to the oven. Raise oven temperature to 450 -475 degrees Fahrenheit, 232 -246 degrees Celsius. Bake 15-20 minutes more until the sauce is bubbling from underneath and the vegetables are golden and somewhat caramelized.
- Allow to cool. This dish tastes best at room temperature with some delicious toasted bread.
To make ahead just make the sauce and layer the vegetables over it. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until the next day. Remove the plastic and brush with the herbed oil. Bake in your preheated oven following the rest of the directions. This can be done one day before.
Leave a Reply