ROSE ZUCCHINI TART
- 1 sheet puff pastry (7-8 ounces) thawed
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5-6 zucchinis, very thinly sliced
- about 1/4 cup olive oil for pan frying zucchini slices
- 9-10 inch round tart pan
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, 204 degrees Celsius.
- Roll out puff pastry on a lightly floured surface so that it is larger than the tart pan. Place the dough into the pan cutting off excess. Press the excess puff pastry dough all around the inside of the pan to form the sides of crust. Place in the freezer to chill while preparing the zucchini slices and the filling.
- Carefully slice the zucchini with a mandolin set to the 1/32 inch setting. The slices should be very thin.
- Heat a cast iron pan over medium heat and drizzle in some olive oil. Just enough to lightly coat the pan. So that the zucchini slices do not stick.
- Pan fry the zucchini slices about 30 seconds per side or until they are slightly soft. Season with some salt and set aside. Continue to do the same thing to all of the zucchini slices. Do not fully cook them.
- The purpose of this step is to soften them enough so that they roll up easily without breaking.
- Roll each zucchini slice on itself to create a rose. Set in a pan.
- To make the filling, combine the feta and ricotta cheese with olive oil, pepper, and chopped mint. Mix well to combine. Taste and add some salt. If the feta cheese is very briny just a pinch of salt will be enough.
- Take the prepared tart pan out of the freezer and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Pour all of the filling over the puff pastry and spread it out evenly.
- Arrange the rose shaped zucchini over the cheese filling.
- Bake for 15 minutes then reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees Fahrenheit, 191 degrees Celsius and bake an additional 45 minutes or until the pastry is golden all around.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool at least 15 minutes before removing from the pan.
- Serve with a nice salad.
Leave a Reply