For the syrup:
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
For the pudding:
- 2 cups fine semolina flour
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 8 ounces semi sweet chocolate
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the chocolate glaze:
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 8 ounces chopped semi sweet chocolate
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- Whipped cream for garnish (optional)
- Begin by making the syrup. Combine the water, sugar, coffee, and cocoa powder and whisk well. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in the honey.
- Note: The honey will easily flow out of the measuring cup if it is greased. Since this recipe uses 1 cup of vegetable oil, measure the oil first and place it into a large pot. Then use the same measuring cup which will now be greased to measure the honey.
- To make the pudding, begin by placing 1 cup of oil in a large pot. Add the semolina flour and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for about 10 minutes or until the flour is nicely toasted.
- Add dried chopped cherries.
- Turn off the heat and carefully pour the syrup into the toasted flour. Take caution not to get burned as the pudding will bubble vigorously once the syrup and semolina mixture combine. Once the bubbling subsides, turn the heat back on to medium and cook while stirring a few more minutes until the pudding begins to thicken and removes from the sides of the pot.
- Remove from heat and add chocolate. Mix well until combined. Stir in vanilla extract and fold in the chopped hazelnuts.
- Spoon the pudding into a decorative Bundt cake mold. Press it in to compress with a spatula. This will help it stick together and will release easily from the pan.
- Allow to rest at least 30 minutes.
- Invert onto a serving platter or cake stand. Tap all around to help release.
- To make the chocolate glaze, heat the cream with the chocolate and coffee on top of a double boiler or in the microwave until the chocolate is melted. Whisk until smooth and glossy. Pour over the semolina cake.
- Serve the chocolate semolina cake when it has cooled completely.
- Garnish with some homemade whipped cream.