A Greek-style spring meal perfect for busy weeknights!
Watch the Video:
This quick and easy baked chicken and string bean skillet comes together in one pan and is on the table in under an hour. Juicy chicken thighs, crisp-tender green beans, briny olives, sweet tomatoes, and a zesty sauce makes the perfect weeknight meal. String beans are in season right now and are so fresh, beautiful, and vibrant green, but you can find them in your supermarkets all year. This will become a go-to for busy spring weeknights.
Why this will be a spring go-to
Fresh tender green beans
Rich roasted tomatoes
Brothy garlicky sauce
A light, fresh, and delicious chicken and veggie meal for any night of the week!
A handful of ingredients
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs -skin on thighs would be good too
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Olive oil -try the one in our shop straight from Crete!
- Onion -finely chopped
- Garlic cloves -grated or minced
- Dried thyme
- String beans –ends trimmed
- Chicken broth
- Grape tomatoes
- Pitted olives -your favorite kind
How to make Baked Chicken and String Bean Skillet
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F, 200 °C.
- Season the chicken thighs on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add olive oil.
- Brown the chicken on both sides in 2 batches -about 3-4 minutes per side.
- The chicken will not be fully cooked but transfer it to a plate and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the onion.
- If the pan is too hot and the onion starts to brown too quickly, turn the heat off until the skillet cools down and then turn the heat back on to medium.
- Cook the onion until soft and golden.
- Add the garlic and warm for a few seconds until fragrant.
- whisk together the broth with the mustard in a small bowl.
- Add the string beans to the skillet along with the broth, tomatoes, and olives.
- Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and top the string beans with the chicken and juices.
- Season with a little bit of dried thyme.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
You don’t need much else with all the chicken and string beans in one pot. However, you know I want to crumble feta right over the top. You could even sprinkle it over about five minutes before the green beans are done cooking so the feta gets warm and melty. Make some toasted bread to sop up the sauce and a salad for extra veggies. If you want something a little starchier, try Mediterranean rice pilaf or roasted potatoes. I know you’re going to love it! Kali Orexi!
More Quick & Easy Meals:
- Chicken & Spinach Stew
- Ground Beef & Potato Stew
- Chicken Saganaki with Broccolini
- Asian Salmon
- Steak Gyros with Rice
- Deconstructed Cabbage Rolls
- 3 pounds (1.5 kilos) boneless skinless chicken thighs
- salt, to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4-5 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pound string beans, ends trimmed
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- a handful of grape tomatoes
- a handful of your favorite pitted olives
Preheat the oven to 400 °F, 200 °C.
Season the chicken thighs on both sides with salt and pepper.
Heat a skillet over medim-high heat and add olive oil.
Brown the chicken on both sides in 2 batches. About 3-4 minutes per side. The chicken will not be fully cooked.
Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.
Reduce the heat to low and add the onion. If the pan is too hot and the onion starts to brown too quickly, turn the heat off until the skillet cools down and then turn the heat back on to medium.
Cook the onion until soft and golden. Add the garlic and warm through a few seconds until fragrant.
In a small bowl whisk together the broth with the mustard.
Add the string beans to the skillet along with the broth, tomatoes, and olives. Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Remove the skillet from the heat and top the string beans with the chicken and all of its juices. Season with a little bit of dried thyme.
Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
Serve the chicken and string beans with toasted bread, feta, and a salad. Kali Orexi!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Olive Oil- Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil (500ml/15.9 oz)
Traditional Cretan Aprons (heavier fabric)
J.A. Henckels International 31161-201 CLASSIC Chef's Knife, 8 Inch, Black
TEAKHAUS Wood Cutting Board Block I Chopping Board I Wooden Cutting Boards for Kitchen I Large Cutting Board with Handle I Chopping Boards for Kitchen I Thick Cutting Board 107 24x18x1.5
Enameled Cast Iron Shallow Casserole Braiser Pan with Cover, Cast Iron Covered Casserole Skillet 3.8-Quart, Marine Blue