This is a beautiful dish to serve to friends and family. The phyllo pastry bakes up to a crisp and flaky perfection and the filling is full of fresh zucchini, herbs, and feta cheese. Make small individual spirals to serve as a main vegetarian course along with creamy tzatziki and a salad (or soup), or the great big one to serve as an elegant appetizer. Your guests will love every bite!
- 1-pound phyllo, thawed and at room temperature
- 8 ounces salted butter, melted
For the filling:
- 5 zucchinis, grated
- 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 6 ounces shredded gouda cheese
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup finely chopped mint
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the grated zucchini in a colander and sprinkle with ½ teaspoon of salt. Toss to coat and set aside either in the sink or over a large bowl to catch the liquid that drains. Set aside for at least 30 minutes. Squeeze the zucchini with your hands to release as much of the liquid as possible.
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F, 200 °C.
- Place the strained zucchini in a large mixing bowl.
- Add all of the remaining filling ingredients and mix well.
- Place one sheet of phyllo on a clean work surface and drizzle with some melted butter.
- Place another phyllo sheet on top and drizzle with butter.
- Spread 1/3 cup of the zucchini filling on the bottom portion of the phyllo and roll it up.
- Coil the phyllo roll and place it on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Continue to form the zucchini phyllo rolls.
- You may form the rolls into individual coils and place them on the baking tray or coil each roll around the small coil to form a large spiral as shown in the video.
- Brush the Spiral(s) with the remaining melted butter and sprinkle with a small amount of salt on top. Sprinkle some sesame seeds on top as well if desired.
- Bake the spirals on the center rack of the oven until golden and crisp. About 40 minutes.
- Serve with creamy tzatziki sauce. Enjoy!