- Serves 6:
- 2 cups basmati rice, washed and soaked 10-15 minutes
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 pound frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, corn, and string beans)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or more)
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- optional additions: bean sprouts and finely chopped scallions
Prepare the rice by rinsing it with cold water until the water runs clear. leave the rice in a bowl covered with water to soak about 10-15 minutes.
Begin by cooking the rice. You can do this in a rice cooker like I did in the video.
Place 2 cups of the washed and soaked rice into the rice cooker.
Add 2 cups of water, 2 teaspoons salt, and 2 tablespoons oil.
Mix well and set the rice cooker to the white rice setting.
If you do not own a rice cooker you may prepare the rice on the stovetop by following my recipe in the following video:
Cook the chopped onion with the oil over medium heat in a cast iron skillet. About 10-15 minutes or until soft and golden.
Add the frozen vegetables and cook until thawed. Season with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes.
In a small bowl lightly beat the eggs and season lightly with salt and pepper.
create a well in the center of the veggies and pour the eggs in that space. Scramble them up and distribute throughout the pan.
Add the cooked rice and season with salt and crushed red pepper flakes.
At this point you may add bean sprouts and finely chopped scallions if you desire.