- 2 cups basmati rice, washed and soaked 10-15 minutes
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 pound frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, corn, and string beans)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or more)
- salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- bean sprouts and finely chopped scallions
- Prepare the rice by rinsing it with cold water until the water runs clear. leave the rice in a bowl covered with water to soak about 10-15 minutes.
- Begin by cooking the rice. You can do this in a rice cooker like I did in the video.
- Place 2 cups of the washed and soaked rice into the rice cooker.
- Add 2 cups of water, 2 teaspoons salt, and 2 tablespoons oil.
- Mix well and set the rice cooker to the white rice setting.
- If you do not own a rice cooker you may prepare the rice on the stovetop by following my recipe in the following video:
- Cook the chopped onion with the oil over medium heat in a cast iron skillet. About 10-15 minutes or until soft and golden.
- Add the frozen vegetables and cook until thawed. Season with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes.
- In a small bowl lightly beat the eggs and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- create a well in the center of the veggies and pour the eggs in that space. Scramble them up and distribute throughout the pan.
- Add the cooked rice and season with salt and crushed red pepper flakes.
- At this point you may add bean sprouts and finely chopped scallions if you desire.