Cook the chopped onion over medium heat with the olive oil until soft and golden.
Add chopped garlic and cook until soft. About 5-6 minutes.
Add the ground beef and sauté in the onion and garlic while breaking up the meat.
Season with the salt, pepper and add canned tomatoes. Fill the can up with water and add to the pot.
Cover the pot and cook over high heat for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
It’s ready when the sauce is thickened and the onions and tomatoes have melted into it. If there is still too much liquid for your preference cook it a little longer uncovered. Watch it carefully so it does not burn.
Add the oregano and parsley. Mix well.
Serve over spaghetti or your favorite cooked pasta and top with grated cheese.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can crushed or diced tomatoes, unseasoned
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- grated parmesan or kefalotiri
- 1 pound spaghetti