- Serves 2:
- 2 zucchinis
- ½ cup olive oil
- 5-6 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 14 ounces canned tomatoes pureed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed oregano
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- Chunk of feta cheese as an optional garnish
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
Preheat oven to 400°F, 200 °C.
Wash and pat dry the zucchinis.
Cut a long slit down the center of the zucchini deep enough so that the garlic fits inside.
Stuff with the garlic slices.
Place the stuffed zucchinis in a small baking dish and drizzle them with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
Roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
While the zucchinis are roasting prepare the sauce.
Combine the remaining olive oil along with the chopped onions in a small pan. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes or until soft and golden.
Add the pureed tomatoes and season with some salt, crushed red pepper flakes, and oregano.
Cook the sauce until it thickens. About 10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
Remove the baking dish from the oven. Pour the sauce over the zucchinis, cover the baking tray with foil and return to the oven.
Reduce the heat to 350 °F, 180°C and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the zucchini is soft.
Remove the foil and bake uncovered 10-15 minutes longer.
Crumble some feta cheese over the top of the zucchinis, garnish with parsley and serve alongside some toasted bread. Enjoy!