ROASTED ONION PILAF
- 1 onion sliced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 cups water
- Rinse the rice with cold water until the water runs clear. Keep the rice soaking in the clean water for 15 minutes.
- Combine the onions with the oil in a pot and cook over medium heat until golden brown. About 15 minutes.
- Puree the onions with some water until smooth.
- Place the onion puree in the pot.
- Add the cumin seeds to the pot and cook over medium heat for about 1 minute or until aromatic and toasted.
- Strain the rice and add to the pot along with 2 teaspoons of salt and 2 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil, stir and cover the pot. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 15 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and serve.
- Make Ahead Tip: Slice 4 onions and place on a baking sheet along with 1 cup of oil. Season with salt and roast in a preheated oven at 450 °F until golden brown.
- Puree with water until smooth and store in the freezer until ready to use. Add to soups, stews, or use ¼ cup to make this rice pilaf.
Leave a Reply