PRASSOPITA: LEEK & FETA PIE
- 6 leeks cleaned and sliced into half moons
- 6 scallions, finely sliced
- ¼ cup olive oil, for the filling
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1-pound feta cheese
- 3 eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoon dried dill
- 1-pound phyllo pastry thawed and at room temperature
- 1/3 cup olive oil or melted butter
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- Combine the leeks, olive oil, and some salt in a pot and cook over medium-high heat for 10 minutes. Stir often to prevent burning.
- Add scallions and cook over high heat about 3-5 minutes.
- Allow to cool and crumble feta cheese into the mixture. Mix to combine then season with salt and pepper.
- Fold in the beaten egg, mint, and dill.
- Grease the bottom of a 9” by 13” baking pan.
- Note: Phyllo dough comes in various thicknesses. The thinner the phyllo, the more sheets will be in a pack. The thicker phyllo will have fewer sheets since it is sold by weight. I usually buy the #4 thickness. Any phyllo will do.
- Remove the phyllo from its packaging. Separate it into 2 equal stacks. One will be for the bottom and the other for the top of the pie. I like to use a little more for the bottom and less for the top. It's a matter of personal preference. The pie will still be delicious either way.
- Brush the baking pan with melted butter.
- Take 2-4 sheets of phyllo and place them at the 12:00 position of the pan (as if you were looking at a clock) placing half in the pan and the other half should hang out of the pan.
- Drizzle some melted butter/oil on top of the phyllo.
- Take 2-4 more phyllo sheets and place them at the 3:00 position of the baking pan, half in half hanging out.
- Drizzle them with some more melted butter/oil.
- Take 2-4 more phyllo sheets and place them down in the bottom of the pan. Drizzle with melted butter/oil.
- Take 2-4 phyllo sheets and place them at the 9:00 position of the baking pan. Drizzle with butter/oil.
- Pour all of the filling onto the pan and cover it with the phyllo that is hanging outside of the pan.
- Drizzle with melted butter/oil.
- Keep taking 2-4 stacks of phyllo and place them in the pan, tucking the edges in really well. Drizzle with melted butter until all of the phyllo runs out.
- Scour the pie into 12 equal pieces and pour the remaining butter all over the pie. Sprinkle the top with some sesame seeds.
- Bake 1 hour or until the pie is golden brown on top and the filling is bubbling.
- Sometimes, it can take 1 hour and 15 minutes to be ready.
- Allow the pie at least 20-30 minutes to rest at room temperature so that the filling sets and it will be easy to slice and serve.
Leave a Reply