- 8 lamb shanks, rinsed and dried
- 16-20 garlic cloves, peeled
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- For the dry spices:
- 2 teaspoons granulated onion powder, or more
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
For the Marinade:
- 8 ounces lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/2 cup olive oil, plus a little more
- 1 heaping tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 cup of water
- Preheat oven to 450 °F, 230 °C.
- Spread the garlic cloves on the bottom of the roasting pan to create a bed for the lamb shanks.
- Place the lamb shanks on top of the garlic. Drizzle some olive oil over them. Season with salt and black pepper on both sides.
- Combine all of the dry spices together and mix. Sprinkle both sides of the lamb shanks with the spices.
- Place in the preheated oven uncovered for 30-35 minutes until the lamb gets a nice brownish color.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350 °F, 180 °C.
- Remove the lamb from the oven.
- Mix the olive oil with the lemon juice and oregano. Pour over the lamb with a cup of water. Place a piece of parchment paper over the lamb and aluminum foil on top of that to seal.
- Roast for 2 and 1/2 hours or until the meat is very soft and falling off the bone.
- Serve with Mediterranean Rice Pilaf, Roasted potatoes, or your favorite sides. Enjoy!