Greek-Style Roasted Lamb Shanks
- Lamb shanks are very moist, flavorful and an affordable cut of meat. They're perfect for entertaining a larger crowd since no carving or slicing in necessary. Roasting really makes things super simple. Here's what you will need to create this deliciousness at home:
- Serves 4-6:
- 8 lamb shanks, rinsed and dried
- 16-20 garlic cloves, peeled
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- For the dry spices:
- 2 teaspoons granulated onion powder, or more
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- For the Marinade:
- 8 ounces lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/2 cup olive oil, plus a little more
- 1 heaping tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 cup of water
Preheat oven to 450 °F, 230 °C.
Spread the garlic cloves on the bottom of the roasting pan to create a bed for the lamb shanks.
Place the lamb shanks on top of the garlic. Drizzle some olive oil over them. Season with salt and black pepper on both sides.
Combine all of the dry spices together and mix. Sprinkle both sides of the lamb shanks with the spices.
Place in the preheated oven uncovered for 30-35 minutes until the lamb gets a nice brownish color.
Reduce the oven temperature to 350 °F, 180 °C.
Remove the lamb from the oven.
Mix the olive oil with the lemon juice and oregano. Pour over the lamb with a cup of water. Place a piece of parchment paper over the lamb and aluminum foil on top of that to seal.
Roast for 2 and 1/2 hours or until the meat is very soft and falling off the bone.
Serve with Mediterranean Rice Pilaf, Roasted potatoes, or your favorite sides. Enjoy!