- For the dough:
- 3 and ½ -4 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 and ½ cups water
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the filling:
- 1-pound feta cheese, crumbled
- 1-pound whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 egg yolks plus 2-3 tablespoons water
- sesame seeds
- Greek Honey
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F, 180 °C.
- To make the dough, combine all of the dough ingredients in the bowl of a table top mixer fitted with the hook attachment. Knead for 5 minutes or until the dough is smooth. Add a little more flour if the dough is too sticky. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside to rest at room temperature for an hour.
- Note:This dough can be kneaded by hand as well. Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and knead 5-7 minutes or until a smooth ball of dough is formed adding a little flour if the dough is too sticky.
- To make the filling, combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Cut the dough into 8 portions. Roll each portion to 1/8-inch-thick rectangle on a lightly floured surface. This can also be achieved by using a pasta roller attachment. Using a 4- inch square cookie cutter, cut out squares of dough and set aside.
- Alternatively, cut the strips so that they measure 4 inches in width. Save the scraps and roll out afterwards.
- Using a pastry wheel or a pizza cutter, or a knife, cut out 4-inch squares and set aside.
- Place a tablespoon of filling in the center of each square.
- Bring all of the corners of the square to the center to meet.
- Place on a baking tray lined with a kitchen towel that has been lightly floured so that the pies don’t stick.
- Pierce 2-3 holes on the top layer of dough so that steam releases while baking.
- Uncooked pies can be stored in the freezer up to a month.
- Place the little cheese pies onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper, leaving some space in between them so that they bake evenly.
- Brush the tops with egg was and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until slightly golden.
- Serve them warm or at room temperature with Greek honey on the side. Enjoy!