- Serves 8-10:
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed (about 2 pounds)
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 3 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 8 cups (or more) water
- 1-2 roasted red peppers
- Optional: crumbled feta cheese and toasted bread
Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit (220 degrees Celsius)
Place all of the vegetables except the roasted red peppers in a baking pan.
Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes. Toss to combine.
Roast for about 50 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked and slightly caramelized.
Place all the roasted vegetables in a pot along with the roasted red peppers and 8 cups of water.
Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
Simmer for 30 minutes.
Puree until smooth in a blender. Do this in 3-4 batches.
Place back into the pot and add more water to make it the consistency that you like.
Taste for seasoning and add more salt and pepper if needed.
Serve with some toasted bread and crumbled feta cheese on top.