- 16-20 (6 inch) phyllo squares
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled, cored and cut into approximately 1/2 inch cubes
- zest of an orange
- juice of a half orange
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves powder
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- pinch of salt
For the syrup:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ice cream or homemade whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Brush 2 ramekins with melted butter.
- Separate the phyllo squares into 2 stacks. 8-10 sheets per stack. keep covered with a damp kitchen towel.
- Combine the chopped apple cubes, orange juice and zest, 2 tablespoons of sugar, cinnamon, cornstarch, clove powder, walnuts and salt. Mix well to combine.
- Brush each phyllo sheet with melted butter stacking them on top of each other. Create two separate stacks.
- Place each phyllo stack into each ramekin.
- Evenly distribute the apple filling between the two ramekins.
- Place the ramekins on a baking tray to transport easily in and out of the oven.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the phyllo is golden and the filling is bubbly.
- While the pies are baking, make the syrup.
- Combine the sugar and water in a small pot. Bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in the honey until melted.
- Allow to cool completely. The syrup should be cold when poured over the very hot pies. This will ensure a crispy crust.
- As soon as the pies come out of the oven, pour the cooled syrup over them and dust with some cinnamon.
- Serve as is or with a scoop of your favorite ice cream.