REVITHADA: BAKED CHICKPEA STEW
- 1-pound (500 g) dried chickpeas, soaked in water overnight
- 1-2 bay leaves
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots (approx. 5 ounces/145 g), diced
- 3-4 garlic cloves, grated
- 28 ounces canned tomatoes, pureed
- 2 teaspoons salt, or more
- 2-3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- Black pepper, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 8 ounces (210 g) feta cheese, diced or crumbled
- fresh chopped parsley, dill, rosemary, or basil
- Place the chickpeas in a large bowl or in the pot that they will boil in the next day and cover them with plenty of cold water. Soak overnight or for 6-8 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375 °F, 190 °C.
- Drain the water from the chickpeas and place in the pot with enough water to cover by 2 inches, at least. Place the bay leaves in the pot and boil until chickpeas are cooked through and tender. About 45 minutes-1 hour.
- In the meantime, make the sauce.
- Place the onions, carrots, and olive oil in a baking dish (9 by 13–inch), Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and place in the oven to bake about 10 minutes or until soft and golden.
- Remove the pan from the oven and add the grated garlic, pureed tomatoes, dried oregano, sugar, black pepper, Crushed red pepper flakes, and some salt. Mix well to combine and place in the oven to roast about 20 minutes or until thickened. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Drain the chickpeas and add to the baking pan with some salt, pepper, and the water. Mix well and taste. Adjust seasoning if needed.
- Bake uncovered for 45 -50 minutes. The sauce will be rich and thick.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and feta cheese.
- Serve with toasted bread and a salad. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply