This recipe is perfect for a busy weeknight when all you have is 30 minutes and have to use up whatever is in the fridge and pantry. I love poaching eggs in tomato-based sauces. Give me them any time of the day and I will gladly devour every last bite. Feel free to substitute any of these vegetables with your favorites. Keep it low-carb by leaving out the beans and adding some spinach to the dish.
Buy a skillet from my Amazon Affiliate and support my work without any additional cost to you. Thank you!
Quick Stovetop Briam with Eggs: Ratatouille Shakshuka
This recipe is perfect for a busy weeknight when all you have is 30 minutes and have to use up whatever is in the fridge and pantry. I love poaching eggs in tomato-based sauces. Give me them any time of the day and I will gladly devour every last bite. Feel free to substitute any of these vegetables with your favorites.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 leeks
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1-2 zucchini, diced
- 4 small bell peppers or 1 large bell pepper, diced
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomatoes, pureed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can white beans, cooked
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 3-4 ounces feta cheese
- 4-6 eggs
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Remove the dark green parts of the leeks and the root ends and discard.
- Cut them in half, lengthwise and thinly slice them. Place the slices in a bowl of water and move them around. The dirt will fall to the bottom. Lift the leeks and place in a colander to drain.
- Place the leeks in a pan/skillet along with the oil and cook over medium heat until soft. About 3-4 minutes. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Add the garlic and warm through 30 seconds.
- Add the zucchini along with the bell peppers and season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat for 4 minutes.
- Pour the pureed tomatoes over the vegetables and add the oregano and the red pepper flakes.
- Add the beans, if using.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to low. Simmer until the vegetables are tender. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Create wells for the eggs. Crack each egg in a small bowl and transfer them into the pan into the wells. Crumble the feta into the sauce.
- Cover the pan and simmer until the egg whites are set and the yolk is still runny. About 4 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and serve. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply