A light flaky Greek twist on pumpkin pie!
My favorite version of pumpkin pie is my pumpkin phyllo pie bar recipe. The crust is light, buttery, and flaky, and the filling is like a pumpkin custard cheesecake. It’s so amazingly delicious! Even if you don’t like pumpkin pie, you must try these bars. I love making all of the apple and pumpkin desserts this time of year, and you know I turn pumpkin pie with traditional crust into bars. However, this really is one of my favorites, and I can’t wait for you to try it.
Why this will replace pumpkin pie
Crispy caramel bottom
Luscious creamy custard-like filling
Flaky, buttery phyllo crust
A delicious light creamy pumpkin pie twist that everyone will love!
Here’s what you’ll need
- (#4) phyllo pastry -room temperature
- Unsalted butter –melted
- Granulated sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- Cream cheese –full-fat cream cheese softened and at room temperature
- Unsalted butter –softened and room temperature
- Pure cooked pumpkin puree –not pumpkin pie filling, just pureed pumpkin
- Granulated sugar
- Egg yolks -room temperature
- Warm whole milk –to help blend all of the room-temperature ingredients
- Pure vanilla extract
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground granulated ginger
Baker’s Tip! Sprinkling the cinnamon and sugar between the phyllo layers creates a slightly crispy caramel texture in the bottom crust.
How to make Pumpkin Phyllo Pie Bars
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F, 180 °C.
- In a tabletop mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, add the cream cheese, butter, sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and vanilla extract.
- Whisk together until smooth.
- Add the pumpkin puree and whisk together until smooth
- Then, add the milk and whisk together.
Layer and fill the phyllo
- Layer the phyllo sheets in a 9 x 13-inch baking pan (see video), drizzling melted butter between each sheet and sprinkling a tablespoon or two of the cinnamon sugar between every 3-4 layers.
- Pour the pumpkin filling into the center of the phyllo and spread it in an even layer.
- Gather all the phyllo extending outside the pan and tuck it into the sides of the pan to form a rustic border.
- Then, brush the sides of the phyllo with generous amounts of melted butter.
- Bake the pie on the center rack of the preheated oven for about 45 minutes or until the pie filling has set.
- Allow the pumpkin pie to cool to room temperature, and then chill it in the refrigerator.
You don’t have to wait until Thanksgiving Day to make these bars. In fact, once you make them, you’ll make them multiple times before you break out the peppermint for Christmas. If you’d like to add homemade whipped cream, cut the bars and pipe a little swirl on each square. They’ll be as pretty as they are delicious. Kali Orexi!
More Pumpkin Desserts:
Watch the Video:
Pumpkin Phyllo Pie Bars
For the Phyllo Crust:
- 1/2 pound (#4) phyllo pastry at room temperature
- 4 oz unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- about 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
For the Pumpkin Filling:
- 8 ounces (230g) cream cheese, softened
- 2 ounces (60g) unsalted butter softened
- 15 ounces (425g) pure cooked pumpkin puree
- 1 cup (230g) granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg yolks at room temperature
- 1 cup (250ml) warm whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground granulated ginger
Preheat the oven to 350 °F, 180 °C.
Make the Pumpkin Filling: In a tabletop mixer that has been fitted with the whisk attachment, add the cream chees, butter, sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and vanilla extract. Whisk together until smooth. Add the pumpkin puree and whisk together until smooth and then add the milk and whisk together.
Layer the phyllo sheets in a 9 by 13-inch baking pan (see video) and drizzle melted butter between each sheet. Sprinkle a tablespoon or two of the cinnamon sugar between every 3-4 layers.
Pour the pumpkin filling into the center of the phyllo and spread it in an even layer. Gather all of the phyllo that is extending outside of the pan and tuck it into the sides of the pan to form a rustic border. Brush the sides of the phyllo with generous amounts of meltd butter.
Bake the pie on the center rack of the preheated oven for about 45 minutes or until the pie filling has set.
Allow the pumpkin pie to cool to room temperature and then chill it in the refrigerator. Serve!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
J.A. Henckels International 31161-201 CLASSIC Chef's Knife, 8 Inch, Black
TEAKHAUS Wood Cutting Board Block I Chopping Board I Wooden Cutting Boards for Kitchen I Large Cutting Board with Handle I Chopping Boards for Kitchen I Thick Cutting Board 107 24x18x1.5
STAUB Ceramics Rectangular Baking Dish, 13x9-inch, Dark Blue
Traditional Cretan Aprons (heavier fabric)
KitchenAid KSM3311XAQ Artisan Mini Series Tilt-Head Stand Mixer, 3.5 quart, Aqua Sky Blue
COSORI ProII Air Fryer Oven Combo, 5.8QT Max Xl Large Cooker with 12 One-Touch Saveable Custom Functions, Cookbook and Oneline Recipes, Nonstick and Dishwasher-Safe Detachable Square Basket
Leave a Reply