- 2 small onions, diced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 medium cauliflower cut into small florets
- 6 medium potatoes, cut into same sized chunks as cauliflower
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or less if you prefer less spicy)
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 serrano chilies
- a handful of fresh cilantro, chopped
- frozen green peas and boiled or poached eggs
- In a pot cook the chopped onions in the olive oil over medium heat for about 15 minutes or until soft and golden. Add the cumin seeds and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the potatoes, cauliflower, chopped tomatoes, salt crushed red pepper and turmeric to the pot. Cook over high heat for 15 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the serrano chilies and continue to cook over high heat for an additional 5 minutes.
- At this point the veggies should be ready. Check the seasoning and add more salt or pepper to your liking.
- Remove from heat and garnish with chopped cilantro. Mix well carefully as to not mash up the veggies.
- A delicious addition is frozen green peas. Cook about a cup of them in a saucepan with a tablespoon of olive oil and some salt to taste until they are completely thawed out. Then add to your dish.
- This dish is delicious served with some boiled eggs and makes a fabulous brunch topped with a poached egg.
- Give it a try!