Patates Yahni: Greek-Style Potato Stew
- Serves 4:
- 4-5 medium Russet potatoes, cubed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup water, or more
- 16 ounces canned tomatoes, pureed
- 2 allspice berries
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and black pepper
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Finely chopped parsley for garnish
- Optional: feta cheese and Kalamata olives for serving/garnish
Cook onions and olive oil over medium heat until soft and golden. Add grated garlic and warm through about 30 seconds taking care not to burn it.
Add potatoes, canned tomatoes, salt, pepper, allspice berries, oregano, and crushed red pepper flakes to the pot. Pour enough water to cover potatoes half way. Bring the mixture to a boil and stir to combine all of the ingredients. Cover the pot and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until potatoes are tender, and the sauce thickens. About 30 minutes.
Add more water during cooking if needed.
Garnish with chopped parsley and serve with toasted bread, olives, and feta cheese. Enjoy!
Pin For Your Pinterest!