Feta cheese is expensive and it hurts to throw it away. I love making this marinated feta because it extends the life of this creamy cheese by at least 2 weeks, makes it even more delicious, and it makes for a beautiful homemade gift.
The best way to extend the shelf-life of feta cheese is to preserve it in olive oil. Add in some of your favorite herbs and spices to make it extra special. This method will keep the creamy cheese fresh for at least two weeks in the refrigerator. I doubt it will last that long. I love giving this as gifts because, in my opinion, homemade gifts are the best kind and ff they’re edible that makes it even better! I also like to have this in my refrigerator because it makes a great appetizer or just something to quickly serve to guests that have stopped by to say hello.
Once the cheese is consumed, if there is leftover olive oil, use it to make salad dressings. Delicious!
Homemade Marinated Feta Recipe
- Note: Ingredient amounts are not listed because this is one of those recipes that you add as much of each ingredient that suits your taste. You can add them all together or just a few.
- Feta cheese, cut into 1 and ½ inch cubes
- Fresh or dried rosemary
- Oregano sprigs
- Lemon zest
- Roasted garlic
- Red Chilies
- Olive oil
- Roasted Vegetables
- Place your favorite herbs in a jar. I love the combination of rosemary and oregano.
- Add the feta cubes.
- Add some lemon zest and peppercorns.
- Add 1-2 chilies or crushed red pepper flakes.
- Pour enough oil to come almost to the top of the jar.
- Seal and leave at room temperature 1-2 hours.
- Place in the refrigerator at least 2 days before serving.
The oil will congeal in the refrigerator so allow it to sit at room temperature 1-2 hours before serving so that it liquifies. Use the leftover oil in salad dressings, over pasta, or as a dipping oil. Serve the marinated feta with olives and toasted bread. Add the feta to salads, pasta, or over roasted vegetables.
Leave a Reply