A simple, delicious, and hearty galette that’s beautiful enough for a fancy gathering!
Watch the Video:
This simple mushroom & cheese galette is delicious and elegant. It’s so beautiful that you can serve it at a fancy gathering and hearty enough to serve at brunch with a nice salad. The mushrooms are meaty, and using two cheeses combines creamy and stringy goodness.
I love using puff pastry for galettes because it’s a great shortcut to save time and energy in making a pie crust. Plus, you can’t deny the buttery, flaky crust it creates. I enjoy using phyllo as a shortcut as well like I did when I made a Spanakopita Phyllo Galette and a Greek-Style Apricot Phyllo Galette with Custard, but puff pastry is the best crust for this rustic mushroom filling.
Why this is the perfect galette!
Crispy, flaky, buttery puff pastry
Hearty, meaty mushroom
Soft, sweet onion
Chewy, stringy mozzarella
Creamy, tangy feta
Rich, sweet, vinegary balsamic
A buttery, hearty mushroom galette that’s simple and beautiful!
Here’s what you’ll need…
Puff pastry -I like to buy big sheets of puff pastry from restaurant supply stores, but you can combine two grocery store-bought sheets to form one big one.
Olive oil -use a good quality oil like the one in our shop for the best flavor.
Onion -cut the onion in half and then into slices. You’ll need a big red or yellow onion or two small ones.
Garlic cloves -the perfect pairing for mushrooms. You can use grated or minced.
Mushrooms -clean them off using a damp towel, rubbing them well to remove any excess dirt. Remove and save the stems for broth or another recipe. Then, thinly slice the caps.
Feta cheese -my favorite cheese goes on top for creamy pockets of salty goodness.
Mozzarella cheese -I put this under the mushroom filling for melty cheesiness with a slight pull.
Salt -helps to soften the onion while cooking and seasons the filling.
Freshly cracked black pepper -for a warm heat
Thyme sprigs -I like to throw the whole sprigs in and pull the stems out before assembling my galette, but you can pull the leaves off if you’d like. If you don’t have fresh, use a teaspoon of dried thyme.
What’s in the dressing?
Balsamic vinegar -deep, rich flavor to enhance the filling.
Honey -adds an extra sweetness to the dressing for drizzling.
Olive oil -use the best quality for the best flavor, like the one in our shop!
Egg wash -mix one yolk with two tablespoons of milk to brush on the puff pastry for the best color.
How to make Mushroom and Cheese Galette in Puff Pastry
How do I prepare the puff pastry?
Preheat the oven to 400 °F, 200 °C. Roll out the puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface to stretch the pastry 3-4 inches on each side to create a 12-inch circle in the center. Place the puff pastry on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and chill in the freezer while preparing the filling.
How do I make the filling?
Clean the mushrooms with a damp towel and remove the stems. (Save the stems for stock.) Thinly slice the mushrooms and set aside. Cut the onion in half and thinly slice it.
Place the onion, olive oil, and a pinch of salt in a skillet and cook until softened -about 7 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme and warm through for a few seconds until fragrant.
Then, add the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat until tender and lightly browned.
Remove from heat and discard the thyme stems. Taste the mushroom mixture and adjust the seasoning if needed.
How do you assemble the galette?
Spread the shredded mozzarella in the center of the puff pastry (12-inch circle). Top with the mushroom mixture and crumble the feta cheese on top. Form the crust border and pinch the puff pastry together to hold a round shape. Whisk together an egg yolk with milk and whisk together. Brush the egg wash over the crust.
Bake until golden!
Bake on the center rack for about 25 minutes or until golden brown.
How to serve mushroom galette?
Balsamic and mushrooms go hand in hand. So, I like to serve this with a balsamic dressing. All you do is whisk the olive oil, honey, and balsamic together. Then, drizzle it over the galette or serve it on the side. Then, I sprinkle some freshly chopped parsley on top for color and fresh herby flavor.
Cut your galette into eight slices and serve it as an appetizer at a gathering, with a side salad for lunch or brunch topped with eggs. It’s so delicious! Kali orexi!
More Beautiful Galette Recipes
Once I made my first galette, I couldn’t stop all the ideas from flooding my brain. I’ve tried traditional ones and created my own, and used phyllo and puff pastry. Here are a few of our favorites!
- 1 (12oz/340g) sheet of puff pastry
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 3-4 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 and 1/2 pounds (680g) mushrooms
- 150g feta cheese
- 100g shredded mozzarella cheese
- salt, to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- 2-3 sprigs thyme or a teaspoon dried thyme
- 2-3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- egg wash: 1 yolk plus 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F, 200 °C.
- Roll out the puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface 3-4 inches on each side so that there is a 12-inch circle in the center. Plac the puff pastry on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Chill in the freezer while the filling is prepared.
- Clean the mushrooms with a damp towel and remove the stems. Save the stems for stock. Thinly slice the mushrooms and set aside.
- Cut the onion in half and thinly slice it. Place the onion, olive oil, and a pinch of salt in a skillet and cook until softened. About 7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme and warm through for a few seconds until fragrant.
- Add the mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat until tender and lightly browned.
- Remove from heat and discard the thyme stems. Taste the mushroom mixture and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Spread the shredded mozzarella in the center of the puff pastry (12-inch circle). Top with the mushroom mixture. Crumble the feta cheese on top.
- Form the crust border and pinch the puff pastry together to hold a round shape.
- Combine the egg yolk with milk and whisk together. Brush the eggwash over the crust.
- Bake on the center rack for about 25 minutes until golden.
- Whisk together the olive oil, honey, and balsamic. Pour over the galette or serve on the side. Kali orexi!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Dodoni Feta Cheese 14 oz
SMARTAKE 200 Pcs Parchment Paper Baking Sheets, 12x16 Inches Non-Stick Precut Baking Parchment, Perfect for Baking Grilling Air Fryer Steaming Bread Cup Cake Cookie and More (Unbleached)
American METALCRAFT, Inc. Pizza Pan,Wide Rim,16 In.
Olive Oil- Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil (500ml/15.9 oz)
Mito Chef Knife
TEAKHAUS Wood Cutting Board Block I Chopping Board I Wooden Cutting Boards for Kitchen I Large Cutting Board with Handle I Chopping Boards for Kitchen I Thick Cutting Board 107 24x18x1.5