- Oil for frying
For the dough:
- 3 and ½ -4 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 and ½ cups water
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the filling:
- 1-pound feta cheese, crumbled
- 1-pound whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint leaves
- To make the dough, combine all of the dough ingredients in the bowl of a table top mixer fitted with the hook attachment. Knead for 5 minutes or until the dough is smooth. Add a little more flour if the dough is too sticky. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside to rest at room temperature for an hour.
- Note:This dough can be kneaded by hand as well. Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and knead 5-7 minutes or until a smooth ball of dough is formed adding a little flour if the dough is too sticky.
- To make the filling, combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Cut the dough into 8 portions. Roll each portion to 1/8-inch-thick rectangle on a lightly floured surface. This can also be achieved by using a pasta roller attachment. Using a 4- inch round cookie cutter, cut out rounds of dough and set aside.
- Place a tablespoon of filling onto each round and fold over to seal. Press the edges together with a fork to seal. Place on a baking tray lined with a kitchen towel that has been lightly floured so that the pies don’t stick.
- Pierce 2-3 holes on the top layer of dough so that steam releases while frying to prevent them from bursting open.
- Fry the Kalitsounia 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden.
- Set on a plate lined with paper towels to drain the excess oil. Serve immediately.
- Uncooked pies can be stored in the freezer up to a month.