Mediterranean Asparagus Salad
- Serves 4-6:
- For the asparagus:
- 1-pound asparagus, washed and tough ends trimmed
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ¾ pound cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- ¼ red onion, finely chopped
- 2 scallions, finely sliced
- 5 ounces feta cheese, cubed or crumbled
- 3-4 dried figs, sliced
- ¼ cup Kalamata olives, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 3-4 radishes, thinly sliced
- For the vinaigrette:
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Greek honey
- Pinch of salt
- 1-2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- Optional: 1 teaspoon sumac
Set the oven to “Broil”.
Place the asparagus on a sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat and spread them out on a single flat layer.
Roast under the broiler until tender and slightly brown. About 8 minutes. Keep an eye on them so that they do not burn.
Combine the vinaigrette ingredients in a small mixing bowl and whisk well until combined.
Place the remaining vegetables in a large bowl. Pour the vinaigrette over them and toss to coat. Add the feta cheese and figs and toss until combined.
As soon as the asparagus is ready, take it out of the oven and allow it to come to room temperature.
You may chop the asparagus into 2-inch pieces and toss into the salad or place a layer of the asparagus onto a serving dish and top with the salad.
Serve immediately with toasted bread alongside any meat dish.
This dish also tastes great with poached or boiled eggs on top. Enjoy!