This hearty chicken chili is full of robust flavors, is low-carb, and comes together in under an hour. I always make a double batch because it can be frozen up to 3 months! If you don’t care too much about keeping the chili low carb you can add some of your favorite beans to make it even heartier. This one is definitely going to become part of your busy weeknight recipe repertoire.
- 1-pound ground chicken thighs
- 1-pound chicken thighs, boneless skinless, cubed
- 2-3 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow or orange bell pepper, diced
- 2 jalapenos, sliced, optional
- 4 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 (28-ounce) can tomatoes, diced or pureed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken broth, or water
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
The dry spices:
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 and ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed oregano
- chopped fresh parsley or cilantro, lemon wedges, and sour cream
- Season the chicken thigh cubes with some salt and black pepper.
- Place a Dutch-oven over medium-high heat and add the oil.
- Cook the chicken cubes about 5 minutes on each side. Remove and set aside in a plate.
- Add the onions to the pot and cook until soft and golden. 7-8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and warm through a few seconds.
- Place the ground chicken in the pot and break up. Add the chicken cubes, and all of the remaining ingredients, except the garnish. Mix well to combine and bring to a boil. Cover the pot with the lid and reduce the heat to medium. Cook for about 30 minutes or until the sauce has thickened. You may simmer this on low for 1 and ½ hours so that the chicken cubes fall apart. Mix every few minutes with a wooden spoon.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream, chopped fresh parsley, and some lemon wedges. Grated cheese goes well with this chili.
Make a double batch for the freezer. Once it cools completely transfer to a container and freeze up to 3 months. You may add your favorite beans to make this chili even heartier.