This quick and easy meal is ready in under 30 minutes. It’s basically a deconstructed version of one of the most popular Greek pita sandwiches, the chicken souvlaki. My version is low-carb but, you can always serve it alongside warm pita bread or over rice or even buttery pasta. A quick and easy meal full of Mediterranean flavor!
Buy a cast-iron skillet from my Amazon Affiliate and support my work without any additional cost to you.
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken thigh meat, cubed
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes
- 8-10 pitted Kalamata olives, whole or sliced
- 3-4 oz. Halloumi cheese, cubed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons dried crushed oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- Juice of a small lemon
- Serve with tzatziki and lemon wedges
- Season the chicken cubes with salt and pepper.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat and add the chicken. Cook for about 10-12 minutes, until golden all around and fully cooked. A meat thermometer inserted in the center of the chicken will register 165 °F when cooked. Remove chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Add onions and peppers to the skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes until slightly soft.
- Add garlic and warm through 30 seconds.
- Place the chicken back into the pan along with the Halloumi, tomatoes, lemon zest, and the spices. Mix to incorporate and cook for 4 minutes or until the tomatoes are soft.
- Stir in the lemon juice and serve.