- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 4-6 garlic cloves, grated
- 2 small potatoes, diced
- 2 (15 ounces) can white beans, cannellini or great northern beans
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 roasted red peppers, diced
- 12 ounces artichoke hearts, jarred (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- Rosemary sprig
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
For the Avgolemono Sauce:
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- pesto sauce
- In a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, cook olive oil along with onion, celery, and carrot until soft. About 5 minutes. Add garlic and heat through a few seconds.
- Add potatoes, artichoke hearts, beans, rosemary sprig, and season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Pour vegetable broth over top and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook until the vegetables are tender. About 15 minutes.
- Remove rosemary sprig and discard. Add chopped roasted red peppers and taste. Add salt if needed.
- Combine all of the avgolemono ingredients in a bowl and whisk until smooth. Add about 1 cup of the hot soup into the egg-lemon mixture to temper it and whisk well to combine. Add the sauce to the soup and cook over medium heat 2-3 minutes or until thickened. If the soup thickens too much add some more broth. About 1-2 cups.
- Serve with some Kefalotiri/Parmesan Puff Pastry twists and pesto sauce.