A quick and easy dinner elegant enough for a dinner party!
Watch the Video:
This delicious cod and potato stew is easy enough for a busy weeknight but elegant enough for a dinner party. You need just a few basic ingredients and a shallow pot to make perfectly cooked lemony herb cod with potatoes in a luscious lemony sauce. It’s so flavorful, your house will smell amazing, and it will be ready to impress in no time!
Why this will become a favorite
- Light poached cod
- Melt in your mouth soft potatoes
- Brothy lemony herb sauce
- A simple, quick one-pot meal perfect for a busy weeknight or special dinner party!
- Olive oil –Try the new olive oil in our shop straight from Crete!
- Onion –finely chopped
- Garlic cloves –grated or minced
- Scallions –thinly sliced and swirled in cool water to release any dirt.
- Medium potatoes –peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- Salt –to taste
- Freshly cracked black pepper –to taste
- Dried thyme
- Cod fillets
- Chicken stock –fish or vegetable stock would be just as flavorful
- Fresh lemon juice –add less if you don’t prefer it as lemony as I do
- Cornstarch –omit if you want a thin soup-like sauce and add more if you like a thicker sauce
- Finely chopped dill or parsley
Except for the garlic, I didn’t add any unusual ingredients outside of the traditional lemony cod and potato stew recipe. It’s not traditional to add garlic to fish dishes in Greece. But I like lemon, and I like extra garlic. So, I add it every chance I get. You could also add a serrano chili while sautéing the onions and potatoes. It would add a little heat and an extra bit of freshness.
How to make Lemony Cod and Potato Stew
- In a large shallow pot, cook the onion with olive oil over medium heat until soft –about 8 minutes and season with a pinch of salt.
- Add the garlic and warm through until fragrant, then add the scallions and cook 1-2 minutes.
- Place the potatoes in the pot and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the cod over the potatoes and season with salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Then, pour the stock into the pot and cover with the lid.
- Simmer over medium-low heat for 30 minutes.
- Whisk the lemon juice with the cornstarch in a small bowl until smooth, then pour it into the pot and swirl around.
- Simmer uncovered for an additional 5 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
Dill pairs so well with fish that I garnish my stew with dill before serving. If you don’t have dill, parsley would add just as much freshness. Since you’ll already have fish and potatoes ready, you could serve this with a side salad, your favorite roasted vegetables, or some sautéed spinach and garlic. I can’t wait to hear if you put your own twist on it or make it just like I do. Kali Orexi!
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, grated
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- 5-6 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- salt, to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 heaping teaspoon dried thyme
- 5-6 cod fillets (2 lbs/910 grams)
- 2-3 cups chicken or fish stock
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Finely chopped dill or parsley
In a large shallow pot cook the onion with olive oil over medium heat until soft. About 8 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt.
Add the garlic and warm through until fragrant.
Add the scallions and warm through 1-2 minutes.
Place the potatoes in the pot and season with salt and pepper.
Place the cod over the potatoes and season withs alt, pepper, and thyme. Pour the stock into the pot and cover with the lid. Simmer over medium-low heat for 30 minutes.
In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice with the cornstarch until smooth. Pour into the pot and swirl around. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
Garnish with dill and serve. Kali Orexi.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Traditional Cretan Aprons (heavier fabric)
J.A. Henckels International 31161-201 CLASSIC Chef's Knife, 8 Inch, Black
TEAKHAUS Wood Cutting Board Block I Chopping Board I Wooden Cutting Boards for Kitchen I Large Cutting Board with Handle I Chopping Boards for Kitchen I Thick Cutting Board 107 24x18x1.5
Lodge Enameled Dutch Oven, 6 Qt, Midnight Chrome
Dried Oregano from Crete (20g/.71 oz)
Olive Oil- Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil (500ml/15.9 oz)