- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 2 pounds, lean ground beef
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 (16 ounces) can tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg with 1-2 tablespoons milk or water
- Preheat oven 375 degrees Fahrenheit, 190 degrees Celsius.
- Begin by making the meat sauce. Cook onion, garlic cloves, and olive oil over medium heat for about 15-20 minutes or until soft and golden.
- Add ground beef, spices, canned tomato, and mix well. Pour the water over the meat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook until sauce thickens. About 30 minutes. Add parsley and mix well.
- Cool completely.
- Roll out the puff pastry to 19 inches wide by 14.5 inches long. This will be the top and bottom crust.
- Arrange the pastry dough into a 10-inch deep baking dish.
- Pour the meat sauce into the dish and top with feta and mozzarella cheese.
- Fold the pastry dough over the sauce.
- Beat the egg with water and brush this egg wash over the top of puff pastry. Season with salt, pepper, and oregano.
- Bake 45 minutes - 1 hour or until the top crust is a deep golden brown and puffy. Lift the layer to make sure that the pastry is completely cooked through.