Kokinisto is a popular Greek cooking method. Kokino translates to the color red hence, kokinisto is a red sauce made with tomatoes, onions, garlic, and herbs. You can cook anything in it to create a spectacular meal. Even simple vegetables cooked or roasted in this sauce take them to the next level.
I love this dish in particular because all of the ingredients are literally dumped in a baking tray, mixed, and baked until everything is tender. All of the work is done in the oven which makes this perfect for a busy weeknight. I added Harissa, a paste made with roasted red peppers, garlic, and spices. If you cannot find it, go ahead and substitute some jarred roasted red peppers. Puree them with the tomatoes and you will love the hint of sweet and smoky flavor that they will add to this dish.
Support my work without any additional cost to you. Thank you!
- 1 (2.5-3 pounds) chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 and ½ pounds of potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 and ½ inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons salt, or more
- Black pepper, to taste
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, very finely chopped
- For garnish: feta cheese and chopped fresh parsley
For the sauce:
- 28 ounces canned tomatoes, pureed
- 3-4 garlic cloves, grated
- ½ teaspoon of granulated sugar or honey, optional
- 1 cup of chicken broth or water
- 2-3 tablespoons Harissa paste
- Preheat the oven to 425 °F, 220 °C.
- Place the chicken and potatoes in a 9 by 13 by 2.95-inch baking pan and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt, pepper, cumin, and red pepper flakes.
- Add the chopped onions to the pan.
- Puree all of the sauce ingredients together in a blender until smooth.
- Add all of the sauce ingredients on top and toss everything together.
- Cover with a large piece of crumpled parchment paper. Crumbling the parchment helps keep it in place. You can also wet it and squeeze the water out, then cover the tray.
- Place in the center rack of the preheated oven and bake covered for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and mix everything one more time.
- Return to the oven and raise the temperature to 450 °F, 230 °C and bake until the chicken is cooked, and the potatoes are fork-tender. About 45-50 minutes longer. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve with feta cheese and some toasted bread to mop up that delicious sauce.
Pin For Your Pinterest!