Make this classic restaurant-style gyro meat at home. Gyros are the most popular Greek sandwich and it is very easy to make. In Greece, layers of meat are roasted on a spit then sliced and served in a pita with tzatziki sauce. The Greek-American version is made with thinly sliced meatloaf made with beef and lamb. Follow this recipe and make a few extra batches for those busy weeknights.
In this recipe, I use a combination of ground beef and lamb to get that authentic flavor that is served at local Greek restaurants. Feel free to use all lamb or all-beef to make your gyro meat. To get that nice crispy texture on some of the meat slices, pan fry them before serving them in the pita or on a platter.
Here are some spices that can be added to make the meat even more flavorful:
- finely chopped rosemary
- ground coriander
Purchase your kitchen essentials using my links to support my work without costing you anything extra. Thank you!
The tzatziki sauce is a must! You may print the recipe here.
- 1 English cucumber, peeled
- 1 and 1/2 cups Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1-2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt, or to taste
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped dill
- olive oil for drizzling
- pita bread for dipping
Grate the cucumber and sprinkle with some salt. Set aside in a bowl to release excess liquid.
In the meantime, combine the yogurt, sour cream, garlic, salt, and pepper in another bowl and mix well.
Squeeze the cucumber with your hands or in a clean kitchen towel and discard the liquid it releases.
Add the shredded cucumber to the dip and stir to incorporate. Add dill and mix well.
Drizzle with olive oil and your creamy sauce is ready!
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 pound ground beef
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 9 x 5 inch loaf pan
For the Sandwiches:
- Pita bread
- Onion slices
- Tomato slices
- Tzaztiki Sauce
- Crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit, 163 degrees Celsius.
- Place the garlic cloves in a food processor and pulse until very finely chopped.
- Add onion and puree until smooth.
- Add ground meat with all of the spices. Pulse until the mixture becomes like a paste. Scrape down the sides of the bowl in between pulses.
- Place the mixture in a loaf pan. Compact it as much as possible.
- Bake for 45 minutes till 1 hour.
- Allow the pan to cool at room temperature completely. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before removing from the pan.
- Remove from pan onto a cutting board. Using a sharp serrated knife, slice it thinly. Pour all of the pan juices over the slices along with any of the fat that has gelatinized. It adds so much flavor when heating it up for the sandwiches.
- At this point, the gyro slices can be placed in a freezer-safe bag and frozen for future use.
- To make the Gyro sandwiches, place a cast iron pan over medium heat and cook the gyro slices until they are browned on both sides.
- Warm the pita bread slightly. Place some chopped lettuce, onion and tomato slices over the pita, the warm gyro slices and tzatziki sauce with crumbled feta. Serve immediately.
Pin for your Pinterest!