- 1 whole chicken (about 3 pounds), washed
- about 16 cups cold water
- 1 onion, halved
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery ribs
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 or more teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Place everything in the stock pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a low simmer and cover. Simmer for 2 hours.
- Remove chicken from pot and. Take all of the meat off of the bones and set aside.
- Place the bones back in the pot. Remove the veggies from pot add 3-4 cups more water. Simmer the bones between 3-6 hours. The longer the better. This will release the marrow and make it more flavorful.
- Remove from heat and pass through strainer.
- Once cooled, skim fat from top and package in freezer safe containers or make your favorite chicken soup.