HERBED BAKED EGGS WITH FETA
- 3 large eggs
- 1 small or half of a large roasted red pepper, cut into medium pieces
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (preferably Dodonis)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon finely sliced fresh basil leaves
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- toasted bread for dipping
- Hosting a brunch and in need of a super simple and impressive dish? This is it! Ten minutes is all you need from start to finish!!! Seriously! You can't beat that. Plus it's very affordable with just a few basic ingredients.
- Preheat the broiler on high and place the oven racks on the bottom two shelves.
- Carefully crack the eggs in a small bowl and set aside.
- Place one small individual size gratin dish on a baking sheet and pour the cream and oil in the ramekin/gratin.
- Place the baking sheet on the rack that is about six inches from the broiler and cook for about 2-3 minutes until the mixture is really hot and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and carefully, while working quickly, pour the cracked eggs into the hot ramekin. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the feta carefully on top with the basil. Arrange the chopped roasted bell pepper around the eggs. Season with the dried oregano.
- Return under the broiler and cook for about 6 minutes until the egg whites are mostly cooked. They will continue to cook once out of the oven.
- Let the eggs rest for about 1-2 minutes until they set.
- Serve with hot crusty toasted bread.
Leave a Reply