- Serves 8
- 1 pound giant butter or lima beans, soaked in water overnight
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1 (28 ounce can of tomatoes) pureed in blender
- 2 teaspoons (or more) sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2-3 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound baby spinach leaves, washed and dried
- 3-4 roasted red or yellow peppers, from the jar
- optional: 1-pound feta cheese
Place beans in a large pot covered with cold water and bring to a boil. Cook the beans about 35-40 minutes or until tender but not mushy. They will continue cooking in the oven. Strain the beans and place them in a 9x13inch baking dish.
Preheat the oven to 375 °F, 190 °C.
Combine onions, garlic cloves, and olive oil in a saucepan and cook over medium heat until soft and golden. About 15 minutes. Smash the garlic cloves with the back of a wooden spoon.
Add the tomato puree, salt, sugar, and spices to the pan and cook about 10-15 minutes or until the sauce thickens a bit.
Pour the sauce over the beans and mix well.
Fold in the chopped roasted peppers and taste. Season with more salt if desired.
Add the spinach leaves in 4-5 batches folding each batch gently until it wilts taking care not to mash the beans.
Bake uncovered for 50 minutes.
Remove the baking pan from the oven and crumble the feta over the beans. Return to the center rack of the oven and bake 10 more minutes.
During the final 5 minutes of baking turn on the top broiler to caramelize/char the top slightly. Keep an eye on it so that it does not burn.
Serve with toasted bread. Enjoy!